Therapy, counselling and capacity building
We have significant experience in providing counselling and psychotherapy to NDIS clients with a disability, dual diagnosis (disability and mental health) and psychosocial disability. We can provide counselling to clients of all ages from all backgrounds.
Therapy sessions typically focus on supporting and educating clients in relation to:
- Self-knowledge, body awareness and self-esteem
- Disability related loss and grief
- Disability related trauma
- Anxiety including social anxiety and phobias
- Behavioural issues, emotional regulation and growth
- Memory retention and reflective function
- Body image issues
- Compulsive and obsessive behaviours
- The development of self-registration (confidence, how you see your place in the world, how you see what you have to give etc)
The aim of these sessions is to build the capacity of the client to meet their NDIS goals, engage in the community and become more resilient.
Sessions will be tailored to individual needs and typically work towards implementing the client’s Positive Behaviour Support Plans. We can also work flexibly with the client and their team to provide information, training, counselling and strategies that support meeting the NDIS goals.
We can work in group sessions (with peers or family etc), couple sessions (with a parent, loved one or spouse etc) and sessions with support people (mentors, support workers, carers, support coordinators etc). These sessions can be focused on building relationships, maintaining relationships and understanding the needs of each other.
Most sessions are in a private therapeutic space. Clients can bring a support person if they are nervous when meeting new people or going to new places. This time is for clients to identify, explore and understand themselves, their behaviours and their ways of coping.
We apply evidence-based interventions including Marte Meo, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Mindfulness based therapies, Trauma Informed Care, Interactional Video Analysis, Play Therapy, and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy.
Working with us
If you would like to talk with us about our therapy programs, please contact us. This service can be accessed from the following line items in the client’s NDIS Plan:
- Improved Relationships – Specialist Behavioural Intervention Support11_022_0110_7_3)
- Improved Relationships – Behaviour Management Plan and Training (11_023_0110_7_3)
- Improved Daily Living – Capacity Building Supports For Early Childhood (15_040_0118_1_3)
- Improved Daily Living – Individual Assessment, Therapy and/or training (15_048_01228_1_3)