Behaviour Support and Capacity Building is about working collaboratively with the client and their support networks to gain an understanding of client strengths, needs and NDIS goals. We provide Behaviour Support and Capacity Building for children, young people and adults. We can provide Positive Behaviour Support Plans for clients of all ages as part of a behaviour support program.
During our sessions we use person-centred and evidence-based interventions that address the underlying causes of challenging behaviour or behaviours of concern. One popular approach is Marte Meo which is used to promote the development of autonomy, attachment and relationship building as a way to prevent behavioural escalations.
We provide therapeutic counselling, training and education to clients and those in their support networks. We believe that by assisting and upskilling those around the client, we can enhance the effectiveness of behavioural supports.
By working with and observing clients in their environments, we identify risks and triggers. We work with support people to ensure that the environment is conducive to the client’s success.
As part of our program we may recommend:
- Functional behaviour assessments, biopsychosocial assessments, risk assessments, outcome measurement tools, interviews and observations
- The development of an interim Positive Behaviour Support Plan, if there are restrictive practices in place
- The development of a (final) Positive Behaviour Support Plan, including the development of plans for different settings (i.e home, school, workplace, social and recreational settings etc)
- The development of Crisis Plans and Support Plans to complement the Positive Behaviour Support Plan
- Providing one-on-one support that works towards improving and maintaining reflective function, emotional regulation, self-registration and independence
- Providing training and group therapy sessions to important people in the client’s life (i.e. family, teachers, employers support workers etc) aimed at reducing behaviours of concern and building relationships.
We strive to maintain the dignity and quality of life for people with a disability who need specialist behaviour support, as part of our commitment to the rights of a person with a disability. All of our clinicians work under the NDIS Code of Conduct and deliver services consistent with the NDIS Practice Standards.
Working with us
This service can be accessed from the following line items in the client’s NDIS Plan:
- Improved Relationships – Specialist Behavioural Intervention Support (11_022_0110_7_3)
- Improved Relationships – Behaviour Management Plan (11_023_0110_7_3)
- Improved Daily Living – Capacity Building Supports for Early Childhood (15_040_0118_1_3)
- Improved Daily Living – Individual Assessment, Therapy and/or training (15_048_01228_1_3)